Monday 6 August 2012

An old lamp is new again...Groovy Retro Lamp Refurbishment

An old lamp is new again ....  Funky Retro Lamp Refurbishment

My projects teach me something - read my "Teach Me A Lesson" at bottom of page
                                               
Found - one Funky Retro 1960s/1970s lamp
Where - op shop/charity store
Cost - $6
Desirability - Love the design, Hate the colour, Love the price tag

Steps to a new lamp : 
Equipment used - masking tape, fine sandpaper, soapy water, vinegar, dry cloth, oil based colour spray paint cans, super high gloss oil based clear spray can

Tested electricals, no problems there at all.

Taped up all the areas that were meant to remain paint free.

Gave Lamp light sanding, hard to do given the high gloss baked on glaze and it's shape.

After sanding, cleaned lamp with soapy water with a drop of vinegar, ensure it's dry.

Spray painted a white base coat.

Spray painted in a high gloss jet black, applied light coats in sweeping motion to avoid drips, allow to dry between coats.

Left to admire lamp for a few days in all it's black glory, didn't love it.

Decided a high gloss cherry red might be right.  Silly me, I should have undercoated over the black, reason being, Cherry Red took many many coats to reach the right shade due to the black colour, it started off really dark and dull, I ended up using two whole cans of Cherry Red to get it to the right shade, finally got there.

YES!  Cherry Red, LOVE it!.

Finally, although the Cherry Red was high gloss,  I decided to give it two coast with a super high gloss clear for more shine, didn't really change very much.

Time for a shade.  Found - dark navy blue lamp shade on clearance at Target for $9, WooHoo!

My 'New' Lamp, it looks so tiny here but it's a really good size.  It sits atop a 1960s/1970s cane console table, which was a recent ebay purchase and refurbishment, but that's another story which I will post another time.
Teach me a Lesson.......My Restoration projects are teaching me things.  This funky retro lamp has taught me that if I'm not happy with the colour I've just painted, that I should undercoat over it before I go onto the next colour, saves money and time.  Lesson Learnt!!!

More restorations to come.
 Hope you are enjoying my little projects     :^) Lara

No comments:

Post a Comment